Brookings, PPS continue study of Oklahoma City (The Point)

(from the Chamber's The Point newsletter)

Representatives from the Brookings Institution and Project for Public Spaces recently visited Oklahoma City to update stakeholders on their study of Oklahoma City’s emerging innovation district and to engage the community in the process. 

They also shared an initial assessment of their ongoing audit focused on the innovation district, an 843-acre area that includes the Oklahoma Health Center and Automobile Alley. Their look at the area also included ideas about how to draw surrounding neighborhoods, such as those along Lottie Avenue, into the process and boost them as well.

The 18-month study began last fall and includes an in-depth look at statistics, interviews with about 60 stakeholders, a compilation of its assets and an initial list of strengths and weaknesses.

In his presentation, Brookings Institution’s Bruce Katz called OKC’s innovation district an “anchor-based medical district with close proximity to a strong commercial corridor.” It has 1,200 residents,17,900 jobs and substantial momentum, representing 23 percent growth from 2003 to 2013.

Strengths that Brookings found in Oklahoma City include its high concentration of innovation assets; strong alignment between research strengths and cluster employment in many healthcare sectors; highly educated district workforce; proximity to Bricktown and broader downtown Oklahoma City; collegial and collaborative regional culture.

Weaknesses included: the overall low density and disconnect between the health center and Automobile Alley; misalignment between key research strengths and industry sectors; profound racial disparities in social and economic well-being; lack of pedestrian access and “third places” – outside of work and home – for interaction and collaboration.

Brookings saw a lot of potential, though, by making better use of open and underutilized spaces; promoting economic inclusion and diversity; creating more lively public interaction with programs and creative design; and building on the existing OKC culture of collaboration with new partnerships and establishing a governance structure for the district.

“At the end of the day this is only successful if we’re growing businesses, we’re growing jobs, in a way that works for the broader community,” Katz said. 

He suggested that Oklahoma City’s district seems to offer potential for smaller and specific innovation hubs to develop around technology (in Automobile Alley), health and wellness (along 10th and Phillips Avenue), innovation and research (near 8th and Phillips), university (near the Stanton L. Young Walk) and the surrounding neighborhoods (along Lottie Avenue).

Moving forward, Brookings and PPS will investigate priority issue areas this summer; help define a unified vision and strategy with another visit in the fall; and provide ongoing strategic advice, communications assistance and peer learning/networking opportunities. Along the way, they will offer both short- and long-termideas to promote innovation, connection and synergy in the district.

In order to share news about the ongoing study of innovation in Oklahoma City, the Chamber recently launched a website for innovation district updates. Sign up for regular email updates or read more at www.okcinnovation.com.

 

 

19 comments (Add your own)

1. Lesboycle wrote:
Amoxicillin And Sun Cialis Generika Versand Deutschland Precios De Cialis cialis generic Kamagra Oral Jelly London Omnaris And Amoxicillin And Claritin D

Sat, April 28, 2018 @ 2:32 PM

2. Online Loan wrote:
lender lender payday loans direct lender lender

Sun, June 24, 2018 @ 10:19 PM

3. Money Loan wrote:
direct lender installment loans lender money lender direct lender installment loans

Mon, June 25, 2018 @ 1:37 AM

4. Payday Loans Online wrote:
loan fast cash loan lenders direct lender payday loans [url=https://laon.cars]direct lender installment loans[/url]

Mon, June 25, 2018 @ 8:16 AM

5. Online Lenders wrote:
lender payday loans direct lender payday lender [url=https://laon.cars]personal loan agreement template[/url]

Mon, June 25, 2018 @ 3:53 PM

6. wrote:
It's genuinely very complicated in this busy life to listen news on TV, therefore I simply use the web for that reason,
and get the most up-to-date information.

Thu, October 4, 2018 @ 1:09 AM

7. wrote:
Heya terrific blog! Does running a blog such as this take a massive amount work?
I have no knowledge of coding however I was hoping to start my own blog in the near future.
Anyways, if you have any recommendations or tips for new blog owners
please share. I understand this is off topic however I just needed to ask.
Thanks a lot!

Fri, October 5, 2018 @ 12:48 PM

8. wrote:
I used to be able to find good information from your blog articles.

Sat, October 6, 2018 @ 11:03 AM

9. wrote:
Whats up very nice website!! Guy .. Excellent .. Amazing ..
I will bookmark your blog and take the feeds additionally?

I'm happy to search out numerous helpful information right here within the publish,
we need develop extra techniques in this regard, thanks
for sharing. . . . . .

Tue, October 16, 2018 @ 6:05 AM

10. wrote:
I don't even know the way I ended up right here, however I believed
this put up used to be great. I don't know who you're but definitely
you are going to a well-known blogger if you are not already.
Cheers!

Wed, October 17, 2018 @ 12:53 PM

11. wrote:
Excellent items from you, man. I've understand your stuff
prior to and you're just too fantastic. I actually like what you have acquired here, really like what you're stating and the way in which wherein you say it.
You are making it entertaining and you continue to take care of to stay
it smart. I can't wait to learn far more from you. That
is really a tremendous web site.

Tue, October 23, 2018 @ 2:49 AM

12. wrote:
This paragraph is actually a pleasant one it helps new internet users, who are wishing for blogging.

Wed, October 24, 2018 @ 5:08 PM

13. wrote:
you're in reality a excellent webmaster. The site loading velocity is incredible.

It sort of feels that you are doing any distinctive trick.
Also, The contents are masterwork. you have performed
a great task on this topic!

Sat, October 27, 2018 @ 9:43 PM

14. wrote:
Hi, Neat post. There's a problem along with your website in web explorer, would test this?
IE nonetheless is the marketplace leader and a huge part of people will omit your excellent writing because of this
problem.

Mon, October 29, 2018 @ 9:28 PM

15. wrote:
I used to be suggested this blog by means of my cousin. I'm now not sure whether or not this submit is written via him as nobody else recognise such precise approximately my trouble.
You are incredible! Thanks!

Sat, November 3, 2018 @ 1:01 PM

16. wrote:
Quest bars cheap fitnesstipsnew1 quest bars cheap 516999410492780544 quest
bars cheap
Excellent post. I was checking continuously this blog and I
am impressed! Extremely helpful information specially the last part :
) I care for such information a lot. I was looking for
this certain info for a long time. Thank you and best of
luck. Quest bars cheap fitnesstipsnew1 quest bars cheap 516999410492780544 quest bars cheap

Sun, November 4, 2018 @ 11:54 PM

17. wrote:
This piece of writing is in fact a fastidious one it assists new net people,
who are wishing for blogging.

Sat, November 10, 2018 @ 7:36 AM

18. wrote:
I got this web site from my pal who shared with me on the topic of this site
and now this time I am browsing this web page
and reading very informative content here.

Sun, November 11, 2018 @ 12:00 AM

19. wrote:
Aw, this was a really nice post. Finding the time
and actual effort to generate a very good article… but what can I say… I put things off a whole lot and don't seem to get anything done.

Sun, November 18, 2018 @ 8:57 AM

Add a New Comment


code
 

Comment Guidelines: No HTML is allowed. Off-topic or inappropriate comments will be edited or deleted. Thanks.